Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Ham is the ultimate dinner recipe. This pressure cooker mac and cheese features two kinds of cheese, for the ultimate cheesiness. Instant Mac and Cheese with ham is a game-changer.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
If you are looking for a kid-friendly dinner that will leave them wanting seconds, this recipe is it. Plus this is the perfect way to use leftover ham up in your Instant Pot!
So, what are you waiting for give this Instant Pot macaroni and cheese a try today?
I am an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my link I can earn a commission on sales.
What Cheese To Use For Macaroni And Cheese
I used a mix of Swiss and Cheddar Cheese. I shaved it straight off a block of cheese. Pre-packaged shredded cheese will leave your macaroni and cheese gritty.
So if you make this mac n cheese, reach for a block that you take the time to shred, you will thank me!
How To Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese With Ham
- Saute your butter and onions in the Instant Pot. Cook for around 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Then stir in the garlic.
- Then add in your water, pasta, and salt. Do not stir and cook accordingly to the printable recipe card below.
- Once you are done cooking on high pressure, quick release, then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and let it sit to melt the cheese and absorb the remaining liquid.
This instant pot ham and cheese macaroni is pretty simple, and feel free to give it a try for an easy weeknight dinner.
New to the Instant Pot?
- Instant Pot Mistakes You Don’t Want To Make
- Must Own Instant Pot Accessories
- How To Double An Instant Pot Recipe
What To Serve With Dinner
Feel free to pair it with anything that sounds good. We tend to do a salad or vegetables but it is versatile.
Can I Swap Pasta In This Recipe
Sure, reach for shells, rotini, etc. You are more than welcome to use something beside elbow macaroni if you don’t have any on hand.
You just want to use similar sized pasta. This instant pot ham macaroni and cheese is versatile in terms of pasta swapping.
Using Duo Crisp Lid To Melt Cheese
If you have the Instant Pot Duo Crisp you can place the air fryer lid on once the mac and cheese with ham is fully cooked.
Then let it crisp up the top of the cheese for an out of the oven texture. This is optional. I love it getting a little crispy and browned, but I don’t always swap lids.
Feel free to swap out cheese varieties if you would like in this pressure cooking dinner. You could use sharp cheese, pepper jack, etc.
The key is using a grater and shredding your own cheese.
Here Are More Instant Pot Recipes
- 1 (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups of water
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Select the saute feature on your Instant Pot. Add your butter and onion and saute for around 4-5 minutes or until onions are softened. Then toss in your minced garlic. Hit the cancel on saute.
- Now add in your macaroni shells, water, ham, and salt. Do not stir.
- Place pressure cooker lid on, and ensure the valve is sealed. Select manual or pressure cooker for 6 minutes. Followed by a quick release.
- Stir in your sour cream, shredded cheese, and give a good stir. Then top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Place the Instant Pot lid on top of the pot, and leave it off. This is going to keep it warm and help soak up the remaining liquid and melt the shredded cheese on top. This takes around 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, and then spoon up your homemade macaroni and cheese!
- Top with green onions if you would like and add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading.