Give this chili cheese dog bake a try. A simple and kid friendly dinner idea that is a hit. A 30 minute dinner that you can throw together and bake. Crescent roll hot dogs paired with chili and cheese. A baked hot dog recipe that is tasty!
Chili dog casserole is a great way to use up leftover homemade chili from the night before. Or buy your favorite canned chili for this chili cheese crescent dog casserole. Try my hot dog chili for an easy dinner idea as well.
My son actually made this recipe you will see in some of the pictures and in the video. I helped with some steps, but even kids can have fun making these baked chili dogs.
Why Make This Hot Dog Casserole
4 Ingredients – Cheese, hot dogs, crescent rolls, and chili is all you need. Simple as can be, with no big steps needed. A simple comfort food, that is quick.
30 Minute Recipe – Don’t you love quick and simple. You can throw this recipe together in 5 minutes and have it on the table in under 30 minutes!
Canned Chili or Homemade Chili – You can use either in terms of chili. As you can see for the ease of the recipe I used canned. But if we have homemade on hand I will of course use that.
I like to mix the two brands together, it is what my son and husband prefer.
Casserole – I love a great casserole and this easy kid friendly dinner recipe is a casserole my son enjoys. We don’t eat hot dogs often but when we do it is this!
Game Day Food – This is a great game day food to serve up as you are watching your favorite game. Or toss on your pellet grill as you are tailgating.
Affordable – A super budget-friendly dinner idea that won’t break the piggy bank. We gotta have some simple no-stress meals to keep on hand for a low budget or the nights you don’t want to cook.
Ingredients You Need
- Hot Dogs
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Crescent Rolls
Pro Tips For Recipe
- Any brand of hot dogs work.
- Feel free to use canned or homemade chili for this recipe.
- Sharp cheddar cheese is what I used, but you can use any flavor of cheese.
- Crescent rolls are what I used, you will find it can work with canned biscuits as well.
How to Make
Step 1: First you will preheat your oven and grease a 9×13 pan.
Step 2: Pour your chili in the pan, and spread it out with a spatula. Then sprinkle your grated cheese over the top.
Step 3: Now, open up your crescent rolls, and then take a hot dog and wrap in the crescent roll.
Step 4: Place the crescent roll wrapped hot dog on top of the chili mixture. Continue till all the hot dogs are wrapped.
Step 5: Now bake in your preheated oven and once the crescent rolls are done, remove and serve!
If you have leftovers you can store them in the fridge for 2-3 days. Then just reheat in the microwave. It will stay firmer on the top of the crescent roll.
Variations To Recipe
Here are a few ways to change up the pigs in a blanket.
Little Smokies – If you want you can swap hot dogs with little smokies. Just cut apart the crescent rolls and use that to wrap the smokies in. Then place on top of the chili mixture.
Biscuit Dough – Instead of crescent dough you can use biscuits to make this hot dog casserole recipe. Just stretch out the biscuits to wrap hot dogs wrapped in the dough, covering most of the hot dog.
Hot Dog Buns – For a change you could do hot dog buns, where you then place the chili and cheese over the top of the buns and hot dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chili Cheese Dog Bake Recipe
- 2 cans of chili 15 ounce cans
- 1 package hot dogs 8 packs
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheese grated
- 1 container crescent dough 8 count
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9×13 pan.
- Pour 2 cans of chili into casserole dish, and spread out evenly.
- Grate your cheese or use bagged cheese and sprinkle over the top of the chili.
- Next, you will take your crescent roll dough and wrap a hot dog up in each crescent dough. Put hot dog on the largest part of the dough and wrap down.
- Place the wrapped hot dogs on the chili mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crescent rolls are baked fully.
- Remove the chili cheese dog bake from the oven, and serve with crisp veggies or your favorite side dish.