Blueberry Sweet Rolls are going to be the highlight of your morning. Tender and moist blueberry cinnamon rolls that are studded with sweet blueberries and a delicious cream cheese glaze poured on top.
Blueberry Sweet Rolls
I am a sucker for blueberry desserts. This sweet rolls recipe reigns right at the top of my list of favorites. Try these blueberry rolls and let me know how you like them.
I am an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my link I can earn a commission on sales.
If you love blueberries, here are more blueberry recipes
How to Proof Dough In Instant Pot
Proofing dough in the Instant Pot allows you to get your dough to rise twice as fast. It helps speed up the process all while giving you an incredibly moist and fluffy dough in the end.
So how do you proof dough in the Instant Pot? You need an Instant Pot with a yogurt setting! The first rise setting will take just 30 minutes in your Instant Pot compared to 1-2 hours on the counter.
It really shaves off time. Then you will have a second rise once your rolls are prepared, before baking. I just cover and sit on a warm dry place for around 30-40 minutes.
What If I Don’t Own An Instant Pot
Go the traditional route to making the rolls and rising the dough if you don’t own an instant pot! I will share both directions in the printable recipe card below!
How To Make Sweet Rolls
Step 1: In a bowl, you will add your milk and butter. Heat in the microwave or stove top until it reaches 100-105 degrees. Use a thermometer to ensure it is the proper temperature.
Once it is warm enough you will pour in your yeast, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes to ensure the yeast activates.
Step 2: Now you will begin to incorporate all the other ingredients for the dough portion of these rolls. The full directions are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 3: Allow your dough to rise. You can either cover and place on the counter in a bowl or use your Instant Pot on the yogurt setting.
If you do the Instant Pot place a glass lid on top and let it rise 30 minutes. Otherwise, on the counter allow 1-2 hours or until dough is doubled in size.
Step 4: Roll out your dough and get it worked over. Have it spread out so you approximately 20 inches by 10 inches.
Sprinkle on your blueberry mixture, and make sure to leave some area around the edges.
Step 5: Roll up your dough that is full of the blueberries. Then slice into 12 rolls. Try to make them even in size so they bake up properly.
Step 6: Place your rolls in a greased 9×13 pan. Cover with a cheesecloth or light towel and allow your rolls to rise again for 30-40 minutes or until doubled in size.
Step 7: Once ready bake accordingly in your baking dish. Then whip up your sweet roll glaze and spread on top, and serve!
Frozen Or Fresh Blueberries
Either fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries will work. I will use fresh berries if that is what I have on hand, but otherwise frozen work just as good!
The one thing with frozen berries is it will bleed a little color but still taste amazing.
Variations To Blueberry Breakfast Rolls
- Add in lemon zest and some lemon juice for a lemon blueberry sweet roll.
- Add in a cinnamon sugar mix like a classic cinnamon roll to mix in with the blueberries.
- Do a caramel flavored glaze or even classic cinnamon roll topping
- Toss in some strawberries and raspberries for a mixed berry sweet roll
You will find tons of ways to slightly alter the recipe to give it a flavor you would like.
How To Store Rolls
Because of the cheesecake style frosting you will want to store your blueberry sticky rolls in the fridge. They will firm up a bit in the fridge. You can always set them out to warm up a bit before eating to soften them up.
Can You Freeze
Yes! Just place the rolls in a proper freezer container and then freeze up to 2-3 months depending on how you store your rolls.
Thaw blueberry yeast rolls in the fridge the night before or toss in the microwave for a quick thaw.
Blueberry Sweet Roll Dough
- 3- 4 cups flour (this will vary depending how you measure)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Cream Cheese Roll Icing:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a bowl or pan, you will warm your milk and butter in microwave or stove to 105 degrees. Use a thermometer to check. Once warm pour in your active dry yeast, along with a teaspoon of the 1/3 cup sugar.
- Let the yeast activate for 5-10 minutes to ensure it is bubbly.
- Now mix in your flour 1 cup at a time, eggs, salt, and sugar. You will mix until the dough is formed into a ball and not super sticky to the touch. You might not use all the flour listed above.
- Once the dough is ready, you will place it in the Instant Pot on the yogurt setting for 30 minutes. Use a glass lid or plate to cover the top of the Instant Pot. But, if you don't have an Instant Pot feel free to cover and let rise on a bowl for 1 hour or 2 hours, or until doubled.
- Once the dough is ready, punch down and roll out. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to 20 inches by 10 inches.
- In a small bowl add your blueberries, corn starch, and sugar. Toss well then pour onto the dough. Leave around an inch around the edge of the dough.
- Tightly roll your dough and slice your dough into 12 evenly sliced rolls.
- Place in a greased pan. Cover and let rise 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- One dough has risen- preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 15-25 minutes or until the rolls are fully cooked through.
- While the rolls are baking in a bowl add your cream cheese, vanilla, and butter and blend up until creamy. Add in your powdered sugar and slowly add in your milk and whisk until creamy and thick consistency.
- Remove cooked sweet rolls and then spread with the icing.
- Serve these blueberry sweet rolls warm right out of the oven or allow them to cool down a bit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 652Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 124mgCarbohydrates: 118gFiber: 4gSugar: 21gProtein: 15g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.