Apple upside down cake is a spice cake that is paired with freshly diced apple slices, brown sugar, and walnuts. Bake to golden perfect and then flip the cake upside down to reveal the gorgeous diced apples and nut topping. This apple spice cake is bursting with flavor and a must make dessert for the fall and winter months.
This uses a box cake recipe so it makes the prep work crazy simple. Change up from a pineapple upside down cake, and use fresh apples for this glorious apple cake. Pair with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a dessert everyone will enjoy.
This Apple Upside Down Cake Recipe Is…
- Perfect for apple season
- Sweet tooth approved
- Fresh apples in each bite
- Made with boxed cake mix
- Easy to make
- Perfect dessert
- Simple ingredients
Spice Cake Mix – You will use a boxed cake mix and use the ingredients on the back of the box required to make the cake batter.
Brown Sugar – I used a light brown sugar but you can use a regular brown sugar as well. Either will work for this apple cake.
Walnuts – If you want some crunch I used walnuts for this but almonds or pecans would be a tasty twist in flavor.
Apples – Any baking apples work but feel free to use a sour or sweet apple. You can use a sour apple to give it a tangy component or honey crisp for a sweeter component.
How to Make
Full directions on how to make this apple upside down cake are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through with images to help you see how it is made.
Step One: The first step is to preheat your oven and then place your butter in the pan and let it melt and once the butter is melted remove from the oven.
Step Two: Add in the brown sugar sprinkling all over the pan followed by the walnuts and diced apples.
Step Three: Add your cake mix into a bowl and add the wet ingredients listed on the back of the box. Stir well and then pour the cake batter over the apple mixture.
Step Four: Bake as directed and once the cake is done let it cool 2-4 minutes and then flip it upside down on a platter so the apple mixture is at the top of the cake.
Then slice and serve up this cake with a scoop of ice cream.
Tips and Variations
Here are some simple changes you can make to this easy apple dessert that is full of your favorite fall flavors.
- Peeling your apples will help make the cake less chewy.
- Spread the butter, brown sugar, nuts and apples evenly all over the bottom of the pan.
- You can use a rectangle serving plate to flip your cake over on, or even a cookie sheet that has sides on it.
- Tart apples will help balance out the sweetness in the cake mixture.
- You can add some caramel sauce in with the brown sugar, as it will create a caramel apple upside down cake. The brown sugar and butter give this cake a mild caramel flavor.
- I used spice cake mix but you could use a white cake or even yellow cake mix to pair with the melted butter and apple topping.
- We used a 9×13 baking pan. Make sure to grease the pan before you add items into it to prevent sticking.
Storing Leftover Cake
You can allow the cake to cool on a wire rack and then once cool place in an airtight container and store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days. This is one of our favorite recipes to make and serve up warm fresh from the oven. Or let it cool in the fridge and then eat it cold straight from the fridge. Either hot or cold tastes incredible.
You can also freeze any leftover spiced apple upside-down cake you don’t want to eat right away. Place in a freezer container and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight when you are ready to eat it.
More Apple Desserts
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Apple Upside Down Cake
- 1 15.25 ounce Boxed Spice Cake Plus ingredients on box to make cake (egg, oil, water)
- 3 large baking apples
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- The first step is to preheat the oven to 325 for aluminum nonstick pan or 350 for glass.
- Next in your 9×13 baking pan place the stick of butter in it, and place in oven to allow the butter to melt as the oven is preheating. This takes a few minutes to make.
- While butter is melting peel and dice up your apples into bite size cubes.
- Spread the butter all over the pan, then sprinkle the brown sugar down, walnuts and apples.
- Mix up your spice cake mix as directed on the box. Use the ingredients it calls for on the box. Then pour the cake batter into the pan on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked through.
- Remove the cake and let it rest for 2-4 minutes. Then place a platter on top of the pan and carefully flip the cake so it is upside down.
- Lift up the pan and you will have your upside down apple cake.
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- Cutting Board