Whip up this air fryer zucchini casserole as a cheesy zucchini casserole to compliment any main dish. The perfect zucchini casserole recipe that comes together in no time.
If you don’t own an air fryer, then transform into a baked zucchini casserole you can toss in your oven. Either way, this makes a tasty zucchini side dish.
There is so much cheesy goodness in every bite of this cheesy zucchini casserole. It’s also a super simple way to get the kids to enjoy and eat more veggies, too! (because when you add cheese, everything just suddenly tastes so much better!)
With a minimal prep time of just 5 minutes, I promise you that this keto zucchini casserole takes no time at all to make.
And after you have your very first bite, you’re going to be loving the fact that you have this recipe in your meal planning arsenal.
This zucchini casserole is…
- Fast and simple to make
- Made using just 6 simple ingredients
- Hearty and full of flavor
- Parmesan cheese
- Heavy cream
You could also add in some summer squash or swap zucchini and do all summer squash.
How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Slice zucchinis into rounds. A mandoline slicer is a great way to get even slices.
Step 2: Add a layer of zucchinis overlapping in rows in a container. I used a small pan for my vegetarian zucchini bake.
Depending on your air fryer will depend how large or small your pan needs to be. Just make sure it is air fryer safe.
Step 3: Keep layering and alternating with parmesan cheese. Do this until your pan is full of zucchini.
Step 4: Mix cream, butter, and garlic in a saucepan on the stove. You will want to mix until it is fully melted. Pour it over the zucchini.
Step 5: Pop in the Air Fryer and cook. Or you can bake in the oven if you would prefer.
Here are some tips and tricks for making this air fryer zucchini casserole! Cooking zucchini is so easy. We loved this recipe.
- Make certain that you try and cut your zucchini slices all the same length and thickness. This will help them cook up evenly and provide a much better overall texture, too.
- Don’t skimp on the parmesan! It really does add a lot of great flavor between all the layers of zucchini.
- Peeling the zucchini is up to you. Some people like to peel them all the way while others leave the outside because it holds them together better. (Just make certain that whatever you decide, you wash and clean off the outside well!)
Use these expert tips to help guide you in making this recipe perfect the first time. I love sharing tips because it’s so simple to get stumped in a recipe and not know what to do!
Variations to Recipe
Even though this is such a super simple casserole dish, there are always a few fun variations that you could easily do.
- Try a different type of cheesy besides parmesan cheese. Or have fun and do a mixture of random types of cheese. The more cheese, the better.
- You can also vary up whether or not you want to put parmesan or other types of cheese between every layer or not. These are the options you have!
- You could do a shredded zucchini casserole instead of slices if you prefer.
- Add in some summer squash and do a zucchini squash casserole.
- Feel free to change up the added spices, too. Some people might want to add a bit of heat and spice to this casserole dish and with how simple it is to do, it’s worth a try!
Here are some common questions about about this zucchini parmesan casserole.
More Zucchini Recipes
Here are a few more easy zucchini recipes you might want to try out.
- Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet
- Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips
- Zucchini Tomato Casserole
- Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Tuna Fritters
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 2-3 Zucchini - medium-sized
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Wash your zucchini thinly. I used a mandoline for slicing the zucchini. You want to slice the zucchini all the same size for even cooking.
- You want to overlap the zucchini so it kind of stacks on each other.
- Sprinkle with some of your parmesan cheese. Then you will add another layer of zucchini slices on top, and add more cheese.
- Now add your third and final layer of zucchini slices and the rest of the parmesan cheese.
- In a skillet, you will add your butter, garlic, and heavy cream into a skillet. Whisk until melted and it is thickening.
- Pour the sauce over the zucchini mixture.
- Place in an air fryer at 375 degrees or in the oven (same temp), and cook until melted. My casserole took 18 minutes to cook.
- Once the zucchini casserole is done then allow it to cool for 5 minutes and then serve.
You can use summer squash and zucchini, straight summer squash, or just zucchini.
I did 3 layers of zucchini but feel free to do however many layers as you would like.
The heavy cream and butter add richness to the zucchini casserole that you wouldn't get otherwise.
Store your leftover casserole in the fridge in an airtight container. You will find this zucchini bake does not freeze well as it will soften the zucchini quite a bit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.