Sharing is caring!
Twix bars are a layered dessert that is a shortbread crust, homemade caramel layer, and topped with a milk chocolate layer. Whip up this homemade Twix bar recipe for a weeknight treat or even a potluck dessert.
Table of contents
This shortbread cookie bar recipe is a go-to party dessert. You might know it by the name – Millionaire Bars! No matter what you call it, these bars are a must. Plus it doesn’t require much effort to make this dessert bar.
A copycat Twix candy bar recipe that is pretty simple to whip up. Homemade shortbread cookie crust, creamy caramel, and a perfectly rich chocolate top that is dusted with salt for added flavor.
🍫 Why You Need To Make These Bars
- Tastes like a Twix cookie bar
- Simple ingredients
- A great potluck dessert
- You can slice it up individually and wrap it for a gift to give to loved ones.
- Can easily double the recipe to serve a larger crowd
- A great make-ahead dessert
- Vanilla Extract
- Caramel Candies
- Heavy Cream
- Milk Chocolate
- Coconut Oil
- Sea salt flakes (optional)
🧈 How to Make Twix Bars
Shortbread Cookie Layer | The first step on how to make Twix bars is creating the shortbread cookie.
You will use a stand mixer and whip up the ingredients and press them into the 8×8 pan. Bake according to the directions below.
Caramel | Now you will work on your caramel layer. In a pan on the stove, you will toss your caramel and heavy cream together. You will create that creamy caramel layer.
You will pour this over the shortbread layer once it is cooked.
Chocolate Topping | Last you are going to melt up your chocolate chips and the coconut oil. The oil will help the chocolate set up. Then pour over the caramel layer.
If you want top with some sea salt flakes to help elevate the flavor of the caramel and chocolate layers.
👩🍳 RECIPE FAQs
A Twix bar is made by Mars. A cookie/biscuit-style that has a layer of caramel and chocolate. You can also buy a peanut butter Twix as well instead of caramel.
You can melt chocolate in the microwave. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Add in the coconut oil, and then heat for 30-second incriments. Stir in between each heat cycle. Only heat until all the chips are fully melted.
You are more than welcome to freeze any of your leftover homemade Twix bars. Just cut and store in a freezer-friendly container. Then store for up to three months.
Thaw on the counter for a few hours before you serve them up.
If you want to do a peanut butter filling instead you can. You would want to mix the peanut butter with some powdered sugar and vanilla. That way it creates a stiffer mixture that spreads well.
🧂 Looking For More Delicious Desserts
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Cookie Monster Cheesecake Bars
- Layered Peppermint Fudge
- Cheesecake Stuffed Apples
- Lemon Lavender Scones
- Cheese Cookies
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11 ounces soft caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 12 ounces chocolate
- Flake salt, to taste (optional)
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fareheit. Then in a bowl or stand mixer, you will want to add your softened butter and sugar together. Cream the mixture for 2-3 minutes or until it is light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in your vanilla and the all purpose flour. Mix until the flour is fully incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, and pat down the shortbread cookie mix.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the shortbread is fully cooked and begins to turn golden brown on edges.
- Allow the bars t ocool for a bit. Now you can beging to work on the caramel sauce. In a small pan add your soft caramels and the heavy cream. Cook on medium heat until the mixture is fully melted. You need to stir often or it will burn.
- After 5 minutes of cooking remove from the heat, pour over the shortbread cookie, and cover and place in the fridge for an hour.
- After the hour you can work on your chocolate layer. Melt your chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler or in the microwave. Once melted, pour over the caramel, and spread evenly.
- If you want lightly dust with sea salt flakes. Place bars back in the fridge to fully harden for 4-5 hours.
You can slice into bars and then wrap individually to give as a gift around the holidays.
Double the recipe for the Twix shortbread bars, and use a 9x13 pan.
I used milk chocolate but you can easily reach for semi-sweet or even white chocolate.
The shortbread crust does rise as it bakes, so don't worry about the the thickness.
I recommend running your knife under hot water for a bit to warm the blade. Then wipe down the the blade with a paper towel, then slice. It will provide a clean cut for the caramel Twix bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 6g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.