Whip up this Instant Pot garlic parmesan chicken with a side of pasta, rice, or any of your favorite sides. This Instant Pot chicken recipe is quick, easy, and has a creamy parmesan sauce to drizzle over the top.
Table of contents
This Instant Pot chicken meal is one we make often. If you are looking for a thighs recipe, you will enjoy this. Also, check out my honey garlic chicken thighs recipe as well.
Why This Is So Popular
- You can essentially use any cut of chicken. Bone-in chicken, boneless chicken breast, etc. Just adjust the cooking time.
- Parmesan garlic sauce
- Fantastic bone in chicken recipe that is juicy
- 30 minute cook time
- Pair with pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, etc
Here are the ingredients for making this Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken!
- Chicken Thighs
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Chicken Stock
- Red Pepper Flakes
How To Make
To make the parmesan garlic chicken you want to pat dry your chicken thighs, and then season them with salt and pepper liberally.
Add oil and butter into pressure cooker on the saute setting. Let the butter melt, and then once hot sear your chicken skin side first. You want the skin to get golden brown.
Flip and sear the bottom side. Then turn off Instant Pot and remove chicken. Use a wooden spoon and pour the broth in and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck on food.
Place trivet in and place your chicken on your trivet. Try to not overlap too much. Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure the valve is set to sealing. Cook high pressure for 15 minutes.
Quick release once you are done cooking. Remove chicken.
Then to make the sauce add in butter, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes on saute. Heat until the butter is melted and then stir in chopped parsley and parmesan.
Once all mixed add in your chicken and coat in the sauce.
Pair with pasta, rice, etc.
- You can make this a creamier sauce by adding in some heavy cream or even half and half. If you need to thicken do 1 tablespoon cornstarch to 1 tablespoon cold water and stir in the sauce at the end to thicken.
- Feel free to add in more seasonings to add dimension to your chicken if you would like.
- You can double the recipe if you would like.
- Don’t have a trivet? Just put the meat in the liquid. It will possibly be fall apart tender, but still delicious.
In my 6 quart I can fit 6-8 thighs. It all depends on how big or small your chicken thighs are. Just use your best judgement.
You will click the manual or high pressure for chicken. I cooked my chicken thighs for 15 minutes on high pressure. Make sure the valve on the top of the lid is set to sealing position.
You can stack the chicken thighs in an Instant Pot. Just make sure the chicken is seared or season chicken before stacking.
Pressure cooking requires liquid to pressure cook. I used chicken stock for this recipe, but you can also use water. It will just be a bit less flavorful.
You absolutely can cook frozen chicken and other meats in the instant pot. Just season and then cook from frozen and skip searing the meat. It will lack some texture from the sear but still be delicious.
Craving More Recipes To Try
Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Start by patting your chicken thighs with a paper towel, then season well with salt and pepper.
- In the Instant Pot, you will add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Let the butter melt and get hot then place your chicken skin side down to sear.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown. Cook the other side, and then remove chicken from Instant Pot.
- Turn off saute, and pour in your chicken stock. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom to remove any stuck-on bits.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot and then place your chicken on the trivet.
- Place lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Cook high pressure for 15 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the Instant pot and place it on a plate.
- For the garlic parmesan sauce, you will drain off the liquid from the chicken in the Instant Pot. Turn the saute feature on and add in your oil and butter. Let the butter begin to melt, and add in the minced garlic.
- When fragrant add in red pepper flakes, grated parmesan, and chopped parsley. Let it all meltdown together.
- Toss your chicken back in, coating the chicken.
- Pair the garlic parmesan chicken with any of your favorite sides, pasta, rice, etc.