Cream cheese is a weakness in my home. Learn how to make homemade cream cheese that is ultra-creamy, and requires 3 ingredients.
I share directions for homemade cream cheese in your Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
Table of contents
Use this cream cheese in dips, spread on bagels, toast, use in recipes, and more. A homemade whipped cream cheese that is ultra creamy!
This DIY cream cheese was fun to make. I used my pressure cooker and it made this cream cheese from scratch a quick recipe.
Why You Will Love Making Homemade Cream Cheese ..
- 3 Ingredients
- Toss in blender to whip it up to an ultra creamy texture
- So easy to make
- Can make your own cream cheese on stove or pressure cooker
- Stores well
- A cream cheese substitute to use in recipes
🥯 Cream Cheese Ingredients
- Whole Milk
- Heavy Whipping Cream
🍋 How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Start by adding your heavy cream, milk, and vinegar into the Instant pot. You can use lemon juice to replace, but it will create smaller curdles.
Step 2: Give it a quick stir, place the lid on the pressure cooker, and make the valve set to sealing.
Step 3: Pressure cook 5 minutes on low, with 10 minutes of natural release. Then open the lid carefully.
Step 4: Strain the mixture in a fine-mesh strainer that is lined with a cheese cloth. The liquid will be a greenish color, this is normal.
Step 5: I then transfer the mixture once drained into my Ninja Foodi blender. Give it a good blend, till it is creamy.
Step 6: Pour into a container, store in the fridge until you are ready to eat it.
How is cream cheese made on the stove? Check out the printable recipe card with those directions.
The cream cheese needs to be refrigerated, in an airtight container. You can store your cream cheese for around 7-14 days.
Stir and use as you would like. Spread on toast, bagels, use for mixing up a dip, in casseroles and any other way you would use a classic cream cheese in a recipe.
🍽️ Variation To Recipe
- Instead of vinegar you are more than welcome to swap with lemon juice. You will find the texture alters a bit.
- Add a sprinkle of salt to taste once the cream cheese is done.
- I prefer the cream cheese ran through a blender to get the right texture. You can use a food processor as well
- Add in fresh herbs or even fruit to flavor the cream cheese the way you would like.
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
Cream cheese is a high fat and calories. Cream cheese is delicious but should be eaten in moderation.
Cream cheese is a dairy that is a spreadable creamy cheese mixture. It is often used to top muffins, waffles, bagels, and more. You can also use this cream cheese in recipes.
Cream Cheese vs. Neufchâtel are similar. You will find that Neufchâtel is a lower calorie cream cheese. They are interchangeable in most recipes.
The closest thing to cream cheese is cottage cheese or mascarpone cheese. You will find that these two are alternatives to the classic cream cheese.
Cream cheese can be frozen for up to 6 months if you store it properly. Just thaw in the fridge for 24 hours to allow it to slow thaw.
Recipes To Use Cream Cheese In
- Cream Cheese Deviled Eggs
- Bacon Wrapped Pickles
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Cheesecake Stuffed Apples
- Cream Cheese Chicken
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
Cream Cheese Ingredients
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt (optional)
- Start by pouring your heavy whipping cream, milk, and white distilled vinegar into the Instant Pot. Give it a gentle stir.
- Place the pressure cooker lid on, and then close the sealing valve. Do 5 minutes low pressure, followed by 10 minutes of a natural release to let it sit.
- Open the lid after 10 minutes, and then pour the mixture in a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh strainer. I let it strain for around 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cheese curds into the blender and process for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is creamy like cream cheese. You might need to scrape down the sides.
- If you find the cream cheese mixture is a little dry, add a little of the whey liquid in. Add salt to taste if you would like.
- Place the whipped cream cheese in an airtight container and place in the fridge until ready to use.
Stovetop Directions For Cream Cheese
- In a heavy pot pan, you are going to pour your milk and the heavy cream in (med-high heat) and bring it to a rolling simmer. Make sure to stir constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium and then pour in the white distilled vinegar. Do 1 tablespoon at a time when you pour it in.
- The cheese mixture will begin to curdle at this point, that is what you want to see. Stir continuously, until greenish liquid is on the bottom and you have larger curds on top.
- Line your fine mesh strainer with the cheesecloth and pour the mixture into the strainer. It will catch all the cheese curds.
- Allow the mixture to drain for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cheese to a blender, and mix 2-3 minutes till creamy!
- Lemon Juice - You can use lemon juice in replace of vinegar, but it will alter the texture. Your curds will be smaller in size.
- Salt is optional. you can add up to a 1/4 teaspoon to flavor.
- Add in herbs or spices to season your cream cheese, or even whip up with fresh fruit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.