Craving something sweet? If so try out my heaven on earth cake. It is diced up angel food cake, tart cherry pie filling, creamy pudding, and Cool Whip. This is a no bake dessert recipe, that is the perfect easy summertime dessert. Give this heaven on earth cake recipe a try.
This is a for sure crowd pleaser, and I love that it is an icebox cake. This refrigerator cake can be made in advance, which makes it simple for summer cookouts, potlucks, etc. You also might know this by being called a cherry angel trifle dessert.
Try my no bake cherry cheesecake, homemade cherry crisp, or my cherry poke cake for more easy cherry recipes. Or check out my crockpot cherries jubilee recipe.
This Heaven On Earth Cake Is…
- Layered Dessert
- Perfect Harmony of Flavors
- Easy No Bake Dessert
- Delicious Layers of Angel Cake (angel food)
- Heavenly Dessert
- Easy Angel Food Cake Recipe
Ingredients You Will Need
Angel Food Cake – You can buy a store bought angel food cake, or bake angel food cake and allow it to fully cool. Box angel food cake is very easy to make. I went ahead and bought a pre-made to make it a no bake.
Pie Filling – I used cherry pie filling for this heaven on earth recipe. It offers a sweet and tart component to help balance out the sweetness of all the layers.
Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix – For the pudding layer you will want a vanilla pudding.
Sour Cream – The sour cream is going to mix with the pudding to offer a hint of tanginess which really elevates the flavor of the pudding layer even more.
Milk – You will need milk to mix with the vanilla pudding mix. So just use as much milk as it calls for on the box.
Cool Whip – You can make homemade whipped cream or buy a container of store bought. This is your topping layer that is ultra creamy.
Variations To Recipe
- Use pound cake instead of angel food cake.
- This recipe is great for any flavors of pie filling. Lemon pie filling, blueberry, etc. Feel free to use any flavor of pie filling you want.
- Use plain Greek yogurt in exchange for sour cream.
- Add in some fresh fruits if you want. Dice up cherries and place in the center of cake, or use to garnish cake.
- Use a cheesecake pudding instead of the creamy vanilla pudding.
- Top with 2-3 tablespoons slivered almonds for a nice crunch component.
How to Make
The full directions on how to make heaven on earth cake is in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk through on how to make the cake.
Step One: First step, start by taking your moist angel food cake and dicing it up into cubes. They don’t have to be perfect in size, just aim for bite size pieces.
Expert Tip: Use a serrated blade knife, it will slice through the angel food cake nicely without tearing up the cubed cake.
Step Two: Place the cubed angel food cake in the 8×8 cake pan for the bottom of pan. I did a little over half of the cake, and save the remaining cubed cake for the next layer.
Take your cherry pie filling and spoon about 3/4th of the can and pour over the cake layer.
Step Three: Next combine your pudding mix with milk and sour cream. Then mix until thick and creamy. Pour the sour cream pudding mix on top of the cherry pie filling layer.
Step Four: Take the remaining half of cake cubes and place on top of pudding. Press down a little to make sure it gets in the pudding layer.
Step Five: Add on the whipped cream in an even layer for the top of the cake. The for the remaining pie filling add it on top of the cool whip.
Step Six: Refrigerate this cake and then slice and serve! It will have a fluffy texture of cake paired with sweet creamy pudding, whipped cream and sweet cherries.
If you make homemade cake make sure to allow your cake to fully cool. Or will will not set up properly as it will mess up the pudding and cool whip layer.
You can make a double batch and use a 9×13 pan instead. Just create the layers of cake, filling, pudding, and use your judgement on how much to add to each layer.
I recommend making this at least 4 hours in advance or even overnight, to ensure the pudding mixture sets up well.
Refrigerate: Store your heaven cake in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge. If you are going to add on the almond wait until you go to serve so they stay crunchy.
Freezing: I do recommend not to freeze this dessert. The texture will change once it thaws from being frozen.
Common questions about this cherry trifle-style cake dessert recipe.
More No Bake Dessert Recipes
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Heaven On Earth Cake
- 1 angel food cake pre-made or boxed angel food cake
- 1 can 18 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 box 3.6 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 8 ounce tub of whipped cream (Cool Whip)
- First start by taking your angel food cake and with a serrated knife cut it into cubes. I did around 1-inch cubes.
- Put half of the diced angel food cake in an 8×8 baking dish.
- Then open your can of cherry pie filling and pour about 3/4 of the can on top of the angel food cake. Spread it out.
- Next grab a bowl and add in the milk, pudding mix, and the sour cream. Whip it up until it begins to thicken. Then pour the sour cream pudding mixture over the cherry pie filling.
- Next top with more of the angel food cake, using up the rest of it. It is okay if it doesn't fully cover the top. Press it down gently to kind of stick in the pudding.
- Then spread your Cool Whip on top of the angel food cake, and spread to an even layer.
- Take the remaining cherry pie filling and drop on top of the heaven on earth cake.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2-4 hours to allow the pudding mixture to set up. Then cut and serve up this easy dessert.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Leave A Reply!