Whip up a batch of these chocolate cinnamon rolls for breakfast! A chocolate chip cinnamon roll that has a chocolate cream cheese icing drizzled on top. This chocolate-filled cinnamon rolls recipe will blow you away.
Table of contents
This chocolate roll recipe is a simple cinnamon roll that is filled with chocolate chips and then it offers a chocolate icing for the cinnamon rolls.
This is one of my favorite types of sweet rolls to make for when you are craving the combo of cinnamon and chocolate!
This Chocolate Cinnamon Roll Recipe Is…
- Delicious sweet roll
- Loaded with chocolate chips
- Drizzled with cream cheese chocolate icing
- Great for breakfast
- Homemade cinnamon roll
- Soft and fluffy
- Bread Flour
- Active Dry Yeast
- Brown Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- Cocoa Powder
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
🍴 How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Start by working on your dough starter. You will mix up the ingredients on the stove to make a thick slurry. Remove and allow it to cool.
Step 2: Now you will work on activating the yeast. Once activated you will then work on the cinnamon roll dough. The full directions are in the recipe card.
Step 3: Let your dough rise and double in size. Once risen, roll out, fill with your filling, roll and place in baking dish.
Step 4: Let the rolls rise again covered, then bake. Allow the cinnamon chocolate chip rolls to cool a bit, then make the chocolate cocoa icing and drizzle and serve.
👩🍳Storage And Freezer Directions
These rolls are best stored in the refrigerator due to the cream cheese in the chocolate icing. The rolls will store for around 5 days in the fridge.
If you don’t plan to eat the rolls right away, you can freeze your sweet rolls for up to three months. Freeze in an airtight container, and let thaw in the fridge overnight.
📌 Expert Tips
- Allow the yeast to activate and bubble. If you don’t do this you will run the risk of the dough not rising.
- Milk, semi-sweet or dark chocolate can be used for the chips in the filling and icing.
- You can double the recipe if you would like to make a larger batch.
- Allowing the dough to rise helps to give you nice large and fluffy rolls.
🍞 Recipe FAQs
A chocolate cinnamon roll is a homemade cinnamon roll that has a chocolate chip filing. Roll up, bake, and then drizzle with a chocolate icing.
Sticky buns are made with a caramel or butter glaze that goes in the bottom of the pan with nuts.
Then you top with the cinnamon roll dough and bake. Cinnamon rolls tend to not have nuts or the glaze, just icing.
In a bowl, you will add warm milk (100-105 degrees), a little sugar, and the yeast. Stir gently and let it sit for 5-15 minutes. As the mixture sits it will begin to bubble and foam. This means the yeast is proofed.
If the yeast doesn’t bubble it means your yeast might be bad, or the mixture was too hot and you killed it.
More Roll Recipes
- Pumpkin Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls
- Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
- Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- Swedish Tea Ring
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup bread flour
- ½ cup milk
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup milk (100-105 degrees)
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2⅔ cup bread flour
- ½ cup milk (warm) reserve ¼ c. for brushing tops
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (can use milk or dark chocolate chips)
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 4 oz butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (can use vanilla extract)
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- Start by adding water and 1/3 cup bread flour in a saucepan on the stove on medium heat. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Slwoly add in the 1/2 cup milk and whisk until smooth.
- Once the mixture is thick like a slurry, remove from heat. Cover with a soft towel or plastic wrap, so it doesn't form a skin.
- Now you will grab a bowl and add in 1 teaspoon of the 1/4 cup sugar, add in the warm milk, and stir to combine. Stir in the yeast, and gently stir. Let it sit 5-10 minutes or until it is frothy.
- Once mixture is frothy, add in the rest of the sugar, 1/4 cup warm milk, the starter dough you made, rest of the flour, egg and salt.
- Mix until it is well combined, and then knead the cinnamon roll dough for 5 minutes on low speed on your stand mixer.
- Divide the 4 tablespoons of butter into 4 parts, and mix into the dough one part at a time. You will want to knead the dough for another 5-6 minutes. Scrape the bowl on occasion. YOu want the dough to form a ball.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and let it rise for an hour or until dough has doubled.
- Once dough has doubled, place on lightly floured surface. Roll the dough 8x20 inch rectangle. Mix up the brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter.
- Spread the mixture evenly all over the dough, and then sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Roll the cinnamon roll tightly, pulling back the dough to keep it tight. Once rolled, cut dough into 10-12 rolls.
- Place into a greased 9x13 pan, cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rise for an hour to hour and a half to double in size. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the dough with the 1/4 cup milk reserved, You won't use it all, just a bit. This will help rolls brown.
- Bake in the center rack for 20-30 minutes or until the rolls are fully cooked.
- Remove rolls and let them cool a bit. Then whip up the cream cheese chocolate icing, and drizzle over the top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Slice and serve up these chocolate cinnamon rolls for breakfast, dessert, or snack.
Make sure to see the yeast bubbles to show it is activated. Otherwise, you will find the dough won't roll.
How to Proof Dough in Instant Pot | To proof your dough all you have to do is mix as you would. Then grease the Instant Pot liner, place the yogurt setting on for 30 minutes. Cover the top with a glass lid. Let it rise for 20-30 minutes.
Remove and then roll out the dough, and make rolls. The yeast setting helps the dough rise faster.
You can use milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips. Or if you are feeling lucky do white chocolate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 8g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.