Sharing is caring!
Sink your teeth into these chocolate chip cake mix cookies! A 4 ingredient chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses boxed cake mix to make cookies. I call these a lazy cake cookies that are simply tasty!
Learn how to make cookies from cake mix, and be amazed. These are easy to throw together, bake up, and serve family, friends, or even take to a cookie swap.
Table of contents
Cookies using cake mix are so easy, and you might have all the supplies on hand. Grab your whisk and cookie sheet and get to baking.
Why This Recipe Works
4 Ingredients – Cake Mix, Oil, Egg, and Chocolate Chips! Simple.
Minimal Prep – Literally all you need is a bowl, and a whisk to whip these cookies up. No mixer required.
Soft and Fluffy Cookies – You end up with soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies that are delicious. No one has to know it is a boxed cake mix recipe.
Mix in Ingredients – Feel free to stir in nuts, sprinkles for a birthday themed cookie, etc.
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven, to 350 degrees. Then start by adding your cake mix into a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add in your oil and the eggs, and with a whisk mix the cake mix cookie batter. You want to mix until mixed with minimal lumps.
Step 3: Fold in the chocolate chips. Then use a cookie scoop and place on a prepared baking sheet. I love my silicone baking sheets.
Step 4: Bake as directed in the recipe card below. Then allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
Room Temperature – Store your cookies at room temperature in an airtight container or sealable bag.
The cookies will store for 4-5 days easily. The cookies are best eaten within the first few days of being made.
Freezer Friendly – These cake batter cookies are freezer friendly. Store the cookies in the freezer for 3-4 months.
When you want one or more, thaw on the counter. Or toss in the microwave and defrost.
- You can use any flavor of cake mix. Just know it will alter the flavor of the cookies. Try yellow cake mix chocolate chip cookies for a fun change.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Leave space between the cookies, as they will spread out as they bake.
- Don’t overbake the cake box cookies, or it will dry out the cookies and make them crispy on the edges.
- I recommend using a cookie scoop to ensure all your cookies bake evenly. You don’t want some smaller than others, or you will get an uneven cook on your cookies.
Variations To Recipe
- Make cake mix cookie bars, by spreading in a 9×13 pan, and bake until fully baked.
- Add in some chopped nuts for a chocolate chip nut cookie. I love pecans or walnuts.
- Toss in some sprinkles for a birthday themed cookie.
- Peanut butter chips or even white chocolate chips are tasty mix-ins as well.
- Sprinkle with sea salt. This will bring out more flavor in the chocolate.
- Swap with chopped candy bars.
- Swap the chips with M&M’s or add both.
Grab my Free Kitchen Conversions Printable! This shows you how many cups are in a quart, pint, etc. A great printable to keep handy for when you need to convert a recipe.
Here are some common questions on chocolate chip cookies made with cake mix.
Cake mix can be used to make cookies, cookie bars, as a delicious dessert. This recipe here shows you how to make cookies using boxed cake mix.
You can use any size cookie scoop to measure out your cookie dough. Bake your cookies smaller or larger. Just adjust the cook time, and remove cookies once baked and lightly golden brown on top.
Any cake mix will work for making cookies. Spice cake, lemon, strawberry, vanilla, etc. Feel free to try out all different flavors of cake and see which ones you enjoy the most.
Craving More Cookies
- Nutella No Bake Cookies
- Air Fryer Cookies
- Avalanche Cookies
- Pop Tart Cookies
- Reese’s Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (15.25 ounce box)
- 2 Eggs, large
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl add in your cake mix, eggs, and oil.
- Use a whisk to mix up the ingredients until well combined. The mixture will be thicker like cookie batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- With a cookie scoop ( I used 1 1/2 tablespoon size scoop), scoop up your cookie batter and place on a prepared baking sheet. I used a silicone baking mat.
- Bake your cookies for 8-10 minutes or until your cookies are fully cooked and lightly golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on baking sheet before you place on cooling rack.
- Serve up these chocolate chip cake mix cookies with a tall glass of milk.
You can use any flavor of cake mix. I used a white cake mix. Yellow, funfetti, lemon, strawberry are all tasty!
Make sure to mix up the cake mix batter well to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
All ovens heat slightly different. So cook your cookies until they are fully cooked then remove.
I was able to make around 20 cookies. Depending on size your total of cookies will vary.
Add in some chopped nuts, chopped candy bars, M&M's or other cookie mix in ingredients if you want.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.