Today I want to share how to make chicken gyros with tzatziki sauce your a slow cooker. I remember the first time I had one was at our state fair, it was a chicken rosemary gyros, and it was love at first bite. Not only do I love chicken gyros but that tzatziki sauce is what dreams are made of. Creamy, light and so refreshing. I whipped up this chicken gyros recipe today to share with you all, so if you want those delicious flavors you had at your favorite restaurant, you can now make it at home.
We live in a pretty rural area so I can’t order one at a restaurant, so I had to come to terms if I wanted one I had to make them. I headed off to the store and whipped up these beauties, and now I can make them anytime I feel the urge to! My husband loves to fill his with tomatoes, lettuce and onions, but I will say these chicken gyros are just as good with just meat and sauce. Or if you are feeling extra lucky, sprinkle some feta cheese over the top!
Light and Refreshing Chicken Gyros With Tzatziki Sauce
Summer is coming and why heat up your house to cook dinner when you can dust off your slow cooker and whip up these chicken gyros! I toss this in my slow cooker in the morning and then when we get home after our day’s adventure we have supper ready and waiting for us. Use some claws to pull the chicken apart in seconds, and then assemble gyros, and serve. Pair with a crisp green salad, salty chips, or eat alone! We love to add fresh tomatoes, greens, and some red onions for a little heat.
How To Make Chicken Gyros In The Slow Cooker
- 1 lb chicken breast or tenderloins
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 package pita bread or pockets
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and seeded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp parsley
- Tomato, Onion, Greens , (optional toppings)
- First, you want to spray your slow cooker with cooking spray or put in a liner. Then lay down your chicken.
- In a bowl add all the other ingredients for the gyros and mix in a bowl. Just don't add in any of the sauce ingredients, that is for later.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken, and let it cook on low 6-8 hours or 4-5 hours on high.
- Then in a food processor or blender add all the ingredients for your sauce. Pulse on low until it is a smooth sauce. This has to set for at least 1 hour before serving.
- When your chicken is done, shred with some forks or a shredder, and then you can assemble your gyros. Add your chicken, fresh greens, and tomatoes, and then top with your sauce, and dinner is served.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 gyro
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 340mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 25g
Chicken Gyros Recipe
As you can see this is a very simple recipe. You just toss in your Gyros ingredients into the slow cooker, set it to cook and then whip up your sauce. I used pita pockets, but our store was out of pita bread. Either way, it tastes amazing.