Beef stir fry is made with steak that is thinly sliced, a variety of vegetables and paired with a homemade stir fry sauce. This is a delicious and quick weeknight dinner. Pair with a bed of rice, or toss in some noodles to stretch this stir fry with beef even more.
This steak recipe is one of our go-to’s. Great for cleaning out your produce drawer, or using frozen vegetables from the freezer. Either method, the soy sauce stir fry sauce gives this dish phenomenal flavor.
This is a dinner that doesn’t take a ton of effort. So if you have a busy week in store, give this recipe a try on one of your nights.
This Beef Stir Fry Recipe Is…
- Seasoned tender steak
- You can use any vegetables you want
- Simple Prep
- Quick cook time
- Flavorful stir fry
- Meal Prep friendly
Ingredients You Will Need
Steak – Don’t feel you have to buy the highest quality of steak. Just buy an affordable cut of steak. Cut against the grain to help ensure you get a more tender steak.
Sesame Seeds – The perfect topping to the seasoned stir fry.
Oil – Canola or vegetable oil work for searing the steak. Then you will use sesame oil for flavoring your sauce.
Seasonings – Chili Powder and garlic powder are the two spices I used.
Soy Sauce – If you don’t want all the sodium use a low sodium soy sauce. You can also use a Coconut Aminos as a soy sauce substitute.
Vegetables – Bell peppers, snap peas, green onions are the veggies I used. Feel free to reach for your favorite vegetables.
Lime – Fresh lime juice balances out all the flavors and will truly enhance the stir fry sauce and steak.
Cornstarch and Water – This is a cornstarch slurry which will thicken your sauce as it cooks.
Variations To Recipe
- Use any vegetables you want. Broccoli, Peppers, asparagus, zucchini, etc.
- Swap out the steak with diced chicken, pork, or even go meatless.
- Stir in some cooked rice at the end, or spaghetti style noodles.
- If you don’t want to make homemade stir fry sauce, you can always buy your favorite. A teriyaki stir fry sauce would be delicious.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make this stir fry are in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk through on how it is made.
Step One: In a large skillet heat over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot you will add the sesame seeds. Cook for 3-4 minutes toasted them till golden.
Step Two: Remove the sesame seeds to a small bowl. Then some oil in pan.
Step Three: Pat dry your steak, and season with chili powder and garlic powder. Then toss into the pan and sear the steak on both sides for about 4-5 minutes per side.
Step Four: When the steak is fully cooked, remove and slice into thin strips once it is cool enough to handle. Toss in the vegetables and cook until they are tender.
Step Five: Add the sesame oil and soy sauce, cornstarch, and water into a bowl and mix. Pour the mixture into skillet and stir until it is thickened.
Step Six: Toss in the steak, and stir. Drizzle with lime and toasted sesame seeds and serve.
You can slice your steak up before you fry it up, or leave it whole and then slice after. It is up to you.
The soy sauce is to be flavored to taste. If you don’t want it to be as rich add in 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
If you don’t want a homemade beef stir fry sauce, you can use a store bought brand.
More Beef Recipes
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group!
Beef Stir Fry Recipe
- 2 4 ounce steaks
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups Snap Peas chopped
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium lime juiced
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large skillet turn the heat to medium. Then when the skillet is hot toss in the sesame seeds and toast till golden brown, stirring occassionally. This takes 2-4 minutes.
- Next remove the sesame seeds from the skillet and add in the 1 teaspoon of canola or vegetable oil. Let it get hot.
- While oil is heating pat dry the steaks and then add the chili powder and garlic powder to the steaks on both sides.
- Place steaks in the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until the steak is done to your preference. Remove and place on a plate to rest.
- Toss the vegetables that are diced into the same skillet and saute for 2-5 minutes or until you have reached the desired doneness.
- Slice your steak into thin strips while your vegetables are cooking.
- Toss your steak back into the pan, and then stir to combine.
- Mix up the sesame oil, water, cornstarch and soy sauce. Pour into the pan with the steak and vegetables and stir until combined.
- Once done plate up your beef stir fry and top with the toasted sesame seeds. Drizzle with lime juice if you would like.
- 1 Large Skillet