All you need is 4 ingredients and 15 minutes to make puff pastry from scratch. Sure, you can buy puff pastry, but you can also make it in no time. This puff pastry recipe is so simple and way better than store-bought.
This pastry dough can be made with sweet or savory puff pastry ideas. Whatever the recipe is, this basic easy puff pastry dough works for both!
Table of contents
Homemade puff pastry is really easy to make. You might think why waste your time, if you can buy it. But, I personally love the flavor of this flaky pastry dough.
Why Make This Easy Puff Pastry Recipes…
- 4 ingredients
- Just 15 minutes to make
- Makes flaky puff pastry appetizers, desserts, etc.
- Freezer friendly
- Incredible flavor
- Cold Butter
- Ice Water
How to Make
Step 1: In a bowl you are going to add your flour and salt into the bowl. Mix well to incorporate.
Step 2: Grate or chop your cold butter into very small pieces, and with a pastry cutter work the cold butter into the flour.
Step 3: Next, you will add in your water, and mix until combined. You want the water to be very cold, when you are mixing dough.
Step 4: Knead your pastry dough, and then roll it out into a rectangle and fold 3 times.
Freeze right away, or use the puff pastry dough right away.
The puff pastry needs to be used right after it is made, or it will begin to dry out. Or, freeze it by wrapping in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag.
Freeze for 3-4 months, then thaw on the counter and then use in any pastry recipe.
- Make sure you dice up the butter into really small pieces. Otherwise, it will not combine with the flour.
- Don’t overmix the dough, or you can make the dough tough.
- Work quickly with this dough, as you want it to stay cold. Otherwise, it will lose the proper texture.
- Thaw puff pastry on the counter at room temperature.
Looking for Puff Pastry Desserts
- Cinnamon Sugar Puff Pastry Palmiers
- Puff Pastry Apple Dessert
- Blueberry Puff Pastry Tarts with Lemon Cream
Puff Pastry Recipe
Ingredients for Puff Pastry
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- In a bowl add your flour and salt. Mix well to incorporate.
- Then you will use a grater to shred the cold butter, or dice it very thinly. This is important.
- With a pastry cutter fold the cold butter into the flour mixture working it in.
- Add the ice water, and mix until combined.
- Place the dough on a floured surface, and work the dough quickly to incorporate it.
- Fold the puff pastry dough into 3-4 times, and then use right away or freeze until you are ready to use.