Beef tips are tender beef tips that are smothered in homemade brown gravy. Pair with mashed potatoes for the ultimate comfort food! Whip up this comfort food recipe tonight.
Tender chunks of beef, rich brown gravy, all on one easy recipe that will win over your family or a crowd.
What Are Beef Tips
You will find beef tips come from a tender part of a beef tenderloin or sirloin top. Now, many will replace this cut with a stew meat, which is fine.
You will find that stew meat can be a bit chewier then tips, so just make note if you swap cuts of beef out.
🥩 Main Ingredients
Beef Tips | Cubed beef tips, or if you can’t find that reach for stew meat as a replacement.
Beef Broth | Beef broth and onion soup mix along with some other spices are going to help give tons of flavor to this dish and make a gravy.
Cornstarch | Cornstarch is the thickening agent to help give you a thick and creamy brown gravy!
🍲How to Make
Full directions and recipe list is in the printable recipe card below.
In a Dutch oven or heavy pot, you will add oil in your pot, and turn to medium heat. Pat dry your beef and season with salt and pepper liberally.
You want to sear your beef until browned. It doesn’t have to be all the way cooked through, you just want to create a crust on the meat.
Remove your beef and place on a platter and then add in your onions to saute to soften the onions. The onions will turn a little golden as they cook.
Now you will add in your beef broth, onion soup mix, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, and mix well. Stir in your beef, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Once you are done, remove bay leaves.
Now you will turn the heat up and mix your cold water and cornstarch in a bowl and whisk. Then stir until mixed, and then stir into the hot beef mixture.
The cornstarch will thicken making it a rich brown gravy mixture coating your beef.
How to Make Beef Tips In Instant Pot
Step 1: Start by turning your Instant Pot to saute feature and add in your oil. Pat your beef with paper towel then season well with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Sear your beef until browned, and then remove and place on a plate. Add in your onions and saute as well until softened.
Step 3: Turn off Instant Pot saute feature. Then add in beef broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape down the bottom of pot to remove any stuck on pieces.
Add in your beef, bay leaves, Worcestershire, and onion soup mix. Stir well.
Step 4: Place pressure cooker lid on Instant Pot, and turn valve to sealing. Cook high pressure for 15 minutes with a quick release.
Step 5: Remove the bay leaves, and then turn saute feature back on. Then add cornstarch and water in a bowl mix well, and stir in. This will thicken your gravy.
How to Make Crock Pot Beef Tips
Step 1: You will add oil to your skillet on the stove and sear your seasoned beef, just as you would the stovetop version. Then remove beef and place in crockpot.
Step 2: Saute your onions in the same pan for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to slow cooker.
Step 3: Add remaining ingredients (except cold water and cornstarch) to crock pot, and place lid on and cook 6-7 hours on low. Cooking on low allows the meat to get nice and tender.
Step 4: Now you will mix up your cornstarch and water, and pour it into the slow cooker and stir. Allow it to cook another 15 minutes to help thicken up the gravy mixture.
🍴 How To Serve
Not sure what to serve with your tender tips and gravy. I tend to do a mashed potato, but you could also do rice.
Consider adding a side of vegetables for color, or even a crisp salad. Also, consider making homemade rolls to help slather up the leftover sauce on your plate.
Craving More Comfort Food Recipes
- Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Air Fryer Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
Beef Tips and Gravy
- 2 pounds beef tips or diced beef or stew meat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow or white onion diced
- 24 oz beef broth
- 3 Tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven or sturdy pot add your oil over medium heat. Then pat dry your beef tips, and season with salt and pepper. Place beef in pot and sear all pieces. This takes around 5-8 minutes.
- Remove seared beef tips from pot, and add in your onions and stir for around 3-4 minutes.
- Now add in your beef, Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix, bay leaves, and beef broth. Lower temperature to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Cover with a lid.
- Now after you are done cooking, turn the heat up to medium-high. Add cold water and cornstarch in a bowl and whisk. Pour into the boiling mixture and stir. This will thicken up to make a brown gravy.
- Once thickened, you can then spoon up your beef tips and gravy and pair with mashed potatoes, rice or however you want to serve your beef tips.